Postdoctoral Research Fellow in Cosmology at University of Oslo
The Institute of Theoretical Astrophysics is part of the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences. It presently has 12 permanent professors/associate professors. The Institute employs about 8 postdoctoral research fellows and has about 14 Ph.D. students. The research activity of the Institute of Theoretical Astrophysics is concentrated around solar physics and cosmology (http://www.astro.uio.no/).
The fellowship period is 3 years. No one can be appointed for more than one specified period at the same institution. The position is available from 1st January, 2011.
The Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences has appointed the cosmology group of the Institute as an emerging top-tier research group. The participation in the European Space Agency`s flagship mission PLANCK and the ground based CMB polarization experiment QUIET, and a strong effort in fundamental cosmological theory, act as two foci for consolidating the group and developing it further to become one of Norway`s internationally most visible research groups in the physical sciences.
The position is connected to the project ”Cosmological Probes of Modified Gravity”, funded by the Research Council of Norway. The successful applicant is expected to carry out research on cosmological structure formation within theories of gravity beyond General Relativity. The research will focus on both the linear and nonlinear regime of structure formation in the framework of scalar-tensor theories, vector-tensor theories and brane world models. It may involve testing these alternatives to dark energy using N-body simulations and/or lensing and/or the CMB and matter power spectra among others.
The candidate must have a PhD or other corresponding education equivalent to a Norwegian doctoral degree in astronomy/astrophysics, physics or a related discipline.
The application must include a short research proposal detailing the research the applicant wants to perform. The main purpose of post-doctoral research fellowships is to qualify researchers for work in top academic positions within their disciplines.
v Please also refer to the regulations pertaining to the conditions of employment for post-doctoral fellowship positions:http://www.uio.no/admhb/reglhb/personal/tilsettingvitenskapelig/regulationstermcondition.xml
A good command of English is required:
Postdoctoral Research Fellow (SKO 1352), pay grade: 57 – 64 (NOK 448.200 – 510.000 depending on qualifications and seniority)
The application must include:
- Application letter
- Research proposal
- CV (summarizing education, positions, pedagogical experience, administrative experience and other qualifying activity)
- Copies of transcript of records and educational certificates
- A complete list of publications
- Short version of CV containing: 1) the institution where the master thesis (or equivalent) was received and the date of graduation,2) the institution where the Ph.D. was received and the date of the defence, 3) the institutions where the applicant has been employed after receiving the Ph.D., 4) the number of papers published in refereed journals (how many as first author) and 5) very brief (2 – 3 sentences) description of field of research and how it is related to research on cosmological structure formation. (Please upload under section ” other attachments”).
- Names and contact details of 2 references who have been asked to send reference letters.
- The applicant should also arrange for two letters of reference to be sent by e-mail to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Foreign applicants are advised to attach an explanation of their university`s grading system. Please remember that all documents should be in English or a Scandinavian language.
Closing date for applications: 1 October, 2010
University of Oslo has an agreement for all employees, aiming to secure rights to research results a.o.
The University of Oslo has a goal of recruiting more women in academic positions. Women are encouraged to apply.
In accordance with the University of Oslo`s equal opportunities policy, we invite applications from all interested individuals regardless of gender or ethnicity.
Associate Professor David F. Mota
Telephone: +47 22857581
Ingin dikirimkan Brosur Cetak atau Digital kampus ini, silahkan isi Form di bawah ini