Brain cells: neurons can reach astonishing shapes and dimensions with dendrites and nerve terminals sometimes located meters away. The establishment and maintenance of such polarity is achieved through the traffic and transport of vesicular compartments. These vesicles, which have various origins and defined destinations, underpin fundamental functions such as neuronal communication through the timely release of neurotransmitter at the synapse. They can also be destined for retrograde transport, carrying many important survival factors from the synapse back to the cell body.
Our ARC and NHMRC funded laboratory is using new fluorescent probes and state-of-the-art live cell microscopy, in combination with biochemistry and mass spectrometry, to understand the molecular mechanisms underpinning neuronal membrane trafficking.
3 PhD scholarships are being offered:
– Role of autophagic trafficking in health and neurodegenerative disease
– Neuronal communication: role of phosphoinositides in priming secretory vesicles
– The role of cholesterol trafficking and homeostasis in neurons: importance in synaptic activity and vesicular transport in health and Alzheimer’s disease.
The candidates will have a 1st Class Honours or equivalent and should be eligible for APA or equivalent. Basic expertise in cell culture, transfection and microscopy is required. Experience in biochemistry (western blotting, pull down etc…) would be helpful.
REMUNERATION: The University of Queensland offers competitive scholarship options.
Prospective students will be expected to secure either an:
· Australian Postgraduate Award (APA; for Australian citizens) OR an
· International Postgraduate Research Scholarship (IPRS; International students).
N.B. to be competitive for an IPRS at least one publication, preferably as first author, may be required.
HOW TO APPLY: For immediate consideration, please email your resume and a cover letter addressing the specified requirements in PDF format to firstname.lastname@example.org
Application Deadline : 31 May 2011
Visit Official Website.
Mungkin Anda Tertarik
- Early Stage Researcher (PhD) in the Department of Physics at University of Cambridge Study SubjectTransport and Signalling mechanism in Polarized CellsEmployerUniversity of CambridgeLevelPhDScholarship Description: As part of the recently launched Marie Curie Initial […]
- Postdoctoral Position in Cell Physiology at Max Planck Institute of Molecular Physioloy Postdoctoral position in Cell Physiology at the Max Planck Institute of Molecular Physiology, Dortmund, GermanyA postdoctoral position is immediately available in the group of Professor […]
- PhD position at MRC Laboratory of Molecular Biology Molecular Neurobiology of Circadian Timekeeping. Applications invited from EU & UK nationals for a fully funded 3-year PhD studentship under the supervision of Dr Michael Hastings […]
- PhD Scholarship Position in Computer Simulation of Biophysics of Phospholipid Membranes The aim of this project is to model the interactions of lipid membranes with nano-objects including functional biomimetic polymers, peptides, polymeric micelles and polymer […]
- PhD Student position in Biophysical Chemistry at University of Gothenburg The University of Gothenburg, Faculty of Science announces; Ph.D. student position in biophysical chemistry at the Department of ChemistryWe are looking for a highly motivated PhD student […]
- PhD Scholarship at The Leiden Institute of Chemistry The Leiden Institute of Chemistry is part of the Faculty of Mathematics and Natural Sciences of Leiden University. Leiden University is a member of the League of European Research […]
- PhD Scholarship Position in Cell Biology A fully-funded PhD studentship is available at the London Centre for Nanotechnology, University College London in the area of cell biology under the supervision of Dr Guillaume […]
- [Czech Republic] PhD Position in Cell Biology, Genetics and Biochemistry at Charles University PhD Position in Cell Biology, Genetics and Biochemistry at Charles University; PraguePhD position to work on the Exo70 family of cell morphogenesis regulators in Physcomitrella patens […]
- Master Scholarships in Transport and Communications, Netherlands Foundation STC-Group / Netherlands Maritime UniversityNetherlands Maritime UniversityP.O. Box 63140, 3002 JC Rotterdam, The NetherlandsPhone: 31 – (0)10-4486060 Fax: 31 – […]
- PhD Scholarship Position in Electronic Transport and Atomic Dynamics in Nanostructures A Ph.D. position in the theoretical nanoelectronics group at DTU-Nanotech is available The basic aim is to develop a theoretical methodology and use it to calculate electronic transport […]