The Michigan Society of Fellows, under the auspices of the Rackham Graduate School, was established in 1970 with endowment grants from the Ford Foundation and the Horace H. and Mary Rackham Funds. Each year the Society selects four outstanding applicants for appointment to three-year fellowships in the social, physical, and life sciences, and in the professional schools.
In 2007, the Mellon Foundation awarded a grant to add four Mellon Fellows annually in the humanities, expanding the number of fellowships awarded each year from four to eight. The newly appointed Postdoctoral Fellows join a unique interdisciplinary community composed of their peers as well as the Senior Fellows of the Society, who include many of the University`s leading scholars. Past Fellows of the Society have gone on to become distinguished scholars at institutions around the world.
The Chair of the Society is Donald S. Lopez, Jr., Arthur E. Link Distinguished University Professor of Buddhist and Tibetan Studies in the Department of Asian Languages and Cultures at the University of Michigan.
The Society invites applications from qualified candidates who are at the beginning of their academic careers, having received the Ph.D. or comparable professional or artistic degree between June 1, 2008 and September 1, 2011. Applications from degree candidates and recipients of the Ph.D. from the University of Michigan will not be considered. Non-US citizens may apply.
About the Fellowship
Each Fellow has a three-year appointment as Assistant Professor in an affiliated department of the University and a three-year appointment as a Postdoctoral Scholar in the Society of Fellows. This appointment is not tenure-track. The current annual stipend is $51,500. Fellows are eligible for participation in the University health, dental and life insurance programs. Each fellow is expected to teach the equivalent of one academic year, i.e., a total of two terms during the period of the fellowship. Any subsequent appointment of a Fellow to a position at the University of Michigan would be subject to the rules governing new appointments.
Questions may be submitted to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Dossier items to be completed by the referee: confidential letters of recommendation submitted electronically to the Society by two referees.
Dossier items to be completed by the candidate:
* Completed application form
* Curriculum vitae
* Writing sample
* Research proposal
* $30 Application fee
The application deadline is Monday, October 18, 2010, 1 PM EDT.
Mungkin Anda Tertarik
- Postgraduate Scholarships, Ailie Donald Bursary, University of Edinburgh, UK Ailie Donald BursaryThis bursary of £1,500 is awarded annually for full-time or part-time postgraduate study in English Language.EligibilityCandidates must give evidence of reasonable […]
- The AW Mellon Foundation Master and Doctoral Scholarship Programe 2011 for Africa, University of Cape Town The AW Mellon Foundation and the University of Cape Town has established a Scholarship Programme to support excellent South African students and students from other countries in Africa […]
- TU Delft Excellence Scholarships, Delft University of Technology, Netherlands TU Delft’s mission is to make a significant contribution towards a sustainable society for the twenty-first century by conducting ground-breaking scientific and technological research […]
- Postgraduate Scholarships, Open Society Foundations / University of Nottingham, UK The Open Society Foundations / University of Nottingham scholarships aim to provide opportunities for independent postgraduate study in the United Kingdom for students who have […]
- Ford Foundation International Fellowships Program 2010 Ford Foundation International Fellowships Program was launched with a grant from the Ford Foundation in 2001. The program offers fellowships for post-graduate study to leaders from […]
- Master Scholarship 2011 in Data mining and Knowledge Management (DMKM) at Erasmus Mundus Scholarships The primary social and economic value of modern societies is knowledge. For this reason, mastering Information technology for structured or unstructured information recorded in […]
- Chemistry Tercentenary International Masters Scholarships, University of Edinburgh, UK In 2013, the School of Chemistry will celebrate the 300th anniversary of the first chair in Chemistry at the University of Edinburgh. As part of these celebrations the School has […]
- Joint European Master (MISOCO) in International Migration and Social Cohesion, Netherlands The general aim of the Master programme in International Migration and Social Cohesion is to educate students and create dialogue among students, professionals and policy makers who will […]
- Masters Scholarships 2012 in Applied Sciences at Saint Mary’s University A Master of Science in Applied Science position is available in Electrical Machine Control for Wind Energy Conversion Systems, in the Division of Engineering at Saint Mary’s University, […]
- The Karrakatta Club Dame Mary Gilmore Award, Edith Cowan University, Australia The Karrakatta Club Dame Mary Gilmore Award aims to further the education of an eligible female postgraduate student. The award offers a scholarship to meet expenses associated with a […]