One scholarship will be awarded to the best full time applicant who meets the criteria below and is accepted onto a PhD in History. The value of the award is £15,000 per year for the duration of the recipient`s PhD degree programme (usually three years subject to satisfactory progress).
The Scholarship will cover the UK/EU rate of tuition fees, a stipend and research allowance (£450).
The scholarship is funded by a leading financier and his wife who have pledged their support for a new historical centre at the University of Edinburgh, which will study the influence of Scots abroad.
Investment fund manager Alan McFarlane and his wife, Anne, have donated £1 Million to the Scottish Centre for Diaspora Studies, to support two PhD scholarships in perpetuity and provide 10 undergraduate access bursaries to help students in financial need. The gift is believed to be the largest private donation to a history-related project at a British University. The McFarlanes are both Edinburgh graduates.
Applicants for the scholarship must be able to demonstrate the relevance of their proposed project to the history of Scottish emigration and/or the impact of Scottish mobility on overseas countries or related themes. Proposals may focus on any period from the medieval centuries to recent times.
Successful applicants will become members of the Scottish Centre of Diaspora Studies, directed by Professor Tom Devine, and participate in the Centre`s activities, including its graduate workshop in Diaspora Studies.
Informal enquiries about the awards can be made to Dr Enda Delaney or Dr Alexander Murdoch, Acting Co-Directors of the Centre.
Two references, evidence of qualifications and a research proposal are also required but these will be taken from your EUCLID study application.
Completed application forms must be received by Scholarships and Student Funding Services no later than 31 May 2011.
Eligible applicants should complete an online application form.
Postgraduate Research Scholarship Online Application
A Selection Committee will meet in June 2011 to select the scholarship holder. The winner of the scholarship will be announced by the end of June 2011.
Scholarships and Financial Support
Scholarships and Student Funding Services
Old College, South Bridge
Tel : +44 (0)131 651 4070
Tel : +44 (0)131 650 2221
Email (Scholarships): firstname.lastname@example.org
Mungkin Anda Tertarik
- Postgraduate Scholarships, Ailie Donald Bursary, University of Edinburgh, UK Ailie Donald BursaryThis bursary of £1,500 is awarded annually for full-time or part-time postgraduate study in English Language.EligibilityCandidates must give evidence of reasonable […]
- PhD Studentship Institute for Sustainable Construction at Edinburgh Napier University An exciting opportunity has arisen to undertake a funded three year full-time PhD studentship within the Institute for Sustainable Construction and the School of Engineering and the […]
- The Department of Mathematics at Tennessee Technological University The Department of Mathematics at Tennessee Technological University offers scholarships and awards for students and graduate students. Additional scholarships for incoming students […]
- Informatics International Master Scholarships, University of Edinburgh, UK Informatics International Master’s ScholarshipsThe School of Informatics will offer up to 10 Master’s scholarships for the 2011-2012 academic session. Each will have a value of £1,000 and […]
- Undergraduate Scholarships University of Edinburgh 2009 UK - The University of Edinburgh Undergraduate Bursaries - Over 180 scholarships will be awarded to undergraduate students in British schools or colleges in Britain who have financial […]
- UK – The University of Edinburgh Undergraduate Bursaries UK - The University of Edinburgh Undergraduate Bursaries - Over 180 scholarships will be awarded to undergraduate students in British schools or colleges in Britain who have financial […]
- Informatics International Master’s Scholarships 2011 at University of Edinburgh The School of Informatics will offer up to 10 Master’s scholarships for the 2011-2012 academic session. Each will have a value of £1,000 and will be tenable for one academic year. […]
- Tercentenary International PhD Scholarships, University of Edinburgh, UK The School of Chemistry will offer a minimum of ten scholarships for students starting a full-time PhD programme in the 2016-2017 academic session.
The Tercentenary International […]
- PhD Scholarships in Accounting and Finance, University of Edinburgh Business School, UK Two PhD scholarships are offered in Accounting and/or Finance. Any area of study will be considered within these disciplines. However, the major areas of current staff research interest […]
- Charles Darwin International Scholarships, College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine, University of Edinburgh, UK These awards are designed to attract high quality overseas research students to the College of Medicine and Veterinary Medicine within the University of Edinburgh. Up to 50 prestigious […]